Linux Autopsy and Packaging

Brian Carrier-2
The topic of getting Autopsy packaged up on a Linux distro has come up again and I wanted to reach out to see who was building Autopsy on Linux and who was doing packaging work so that we can all work together and make this happen.   can you let me know if you can help out in either?

I made a github issues to track the development results.

thanks,
brian

Re: Linux Autopsy and Packaging

Hoyt Harness
For those not aware of the issues...

Autopsy still sometimes exhibits compile errors depending on which branches were used as source for both Autopsy and The Sleuth Kit. So far, no one really understands why as far as I know, but the master branches of each one seem to work together and correctly compile more often than the develop branches. I'll need to review my emails from Richard to remember what the latest status of this is.

Getting Autopsy to consistently compile on Linux or Mac is only part of the challenge. Some of the included dependencies, such as Photorec, are Windows binaries. To also include *NIX binaries increases installer bloat since everyone gets everything, whether you need it or not. It's pretty big at it is. Making those binaries additional downloads at installation time changes how the Windows installation works currently, which might upset folks who depend on that part remaining the same.

The best option in my mind is to leave the Windows install routine alone and trigger the prerequisite downloads/installs of the *NIX dependencies when the deb/rpm/dmg install file runs. One problem there is insuring the right version of those dependencies. Older versions of some might be tricky or impossible to get for various reasons, which would result in a failed or broken install. If the dependencies are ok, Autopsy has to call those and not the ones for a Windows environment. Java logic to determine the client OS is already there, so a little code in the right places to choose the OS-specific binary based on that is all that's needed.

It's just not a straightforward proposition unfortunately and the solution can't introduce regressions. Then again, challenges are what makes life fun. Also, I'm not with Basis. I've just spent a lot of time on this.

On Jul 14, 2017 12:21 PM, "Adam Dershowitz" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jon Stewart
Travis CI can be a useful tool for checking Linux builds. It has good GitHub integration, so a push to GitHub can trigger a new build of a branch and then GitHub will display whether the build is working on the PR screen. I use Jenkins in a similar manner to manage my projects, but Travis CI is a good lightweight solution, and it's free for open source projects.

IMNSHO, it's essential to use automated tooling like this when working with nontrivial cross-platform builds.

Jon