Platform toolset setting in VS2010

Edward Diener
I am seeing the platform toolset in the VS2010  projects for
libewf_64bit  and sleuthkit set to "Windows7.1SDK" for the 64-bit build
and "v100" for the 32-bit build in sleuthkit. Is there a reason for this ?

I do not have a "Windows7.1SDK" platform toolset for VS2010 either under
Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

Eddie Diener

Re: Platform toolset setting in VS2010

Brian Carrier-2
Did you follow the build instructions in win32/BUILDING.txt for 64-bit versions?  I think the Windows7.1SDK is the one that makes 64-bit builds for VS 2010.

On 7/8/2016 11:42 PM, Brian Carrier wrote:
> Did you follow the build instructions in win32/BUILDING.txt for 64-bit versions?  I think the Windows7.1SDK is the one that makes 64-bit builds for VS 2010.
  I have no problems creating a 64-bit build using the default "v100"
Platform Toolset value. My question is what technical reason exists for
using "Windows7.1SDK" as the Platform Toolset value, especially as this
value is not supported in my VS2010 AFAICS. Perhaps "Windows7.1SDK" was
needed for the free version of VS2010, along with a download of a
particular SDK to which that value refers, but for the VS2010
Professional version which I have always had this "Windows7.1SDK" value
is not needed to create a 64-bit build, and does not exist as an option.

>> On Jun 29, 2016, at 3:26 PM, Edward Diener <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am seeing the platform toolset in the VS2010  projects for
>> libewf_64bit  and sleuthkit set to "Windows7.1SDK" for the 64-bit build
>> and "v100" for the 32-bit build in sleuthkit. Is there a reason for this ?
>>
>> I do not have a "Windows7.1SDK" platform toolset for VS2010 either under
>> Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.
>>
>> Eddie Diener

Re: Platform toolset setting in VS2010

Richard Cordovano
For those of using then free edition of Visual C++ 2010, installing the Windows 7 SDK was a prerequisite for getting 64-bit compiler support. The SleuthKit team did not explicitly set the Platform Toolset property value; it is my understanding that it is set when one does the following, as described in BUILDING.txt:

Visual Studio 2010 Express cannot make 64-bit versions of the
executables. To do that, you must download and install an additional SDK:

The SDK installation may fail, particularly if Visual Studio 2010 Service
Pack 1 has been installed. In this case, re-run the SDK installer but
un-check the compilers box. After the SDK is installed, run the following
fix to get the 64 bit compiler:

On 7/12/2016 1:36 PM, Richard Cordovano wrote:
For those of using then free edition of Visual C++ 2010, installing the Windows 7 SDK was a prerequisite for getting 64-bit compiler support. The SleuthKit team did not explicitly set the Platform Toolset property value;
If you get SleuthKit from Github you will see that on the 'master' branch the Platform Toolset property for the 64-bit build is set to "Windows7.1SDK".

Eddie Diener