Resizing a partition to the left an efficient way - without copying its all content

Resizing a partition to the left an efficient way - without copying its all content

Sam Bul
And again you're out of touch with the subject of this thread. RAID arrays are seldom used, and hardly recommended for consumer drive models (which we talk about here). Present way of resizing a partition to the left is barbaric to currently made consumer drives, outerly obsolete due to wasting huge amount of energy for no reason, and significantly accelerates wear and tear of large presently low lifespan resource consumer drive models.

I can tell you more - given large amount of factual errors in your reply, shooting far above and below actual target, and total lack of desire to bring NTFSResize to today's requirements, you should not call yourself this tool maintainer. Because you are factually not, and can not possibly be. Btw, most of Linux based utilities are maintained by volunteers for free. They don't demand pay for implementing each proposal, submitted via SourceForge. This site has an opposite purpose - to support GPL software development. Not obsolete software - just to give some people a chance to get a hire paid job by advertising their services via this site - but modern and capable to compete with commercial for programs.

I don't ask you personally about anything. I fact, you demonstrated total incompatibility with error free requirement for the task. I just posted a suggestion to NTFSPROGS dev thread - someone (not you) will hopefully consider it with more in-depth look and more suitable for this site spirit.

Re: Resizing a partition to the left an efficient way - without copying its all content

Anton Altaparmakov
Hi,

On 2 Jul 2011, at 14:23, Sam Bul wrote:
> And again you're out of touch with the subject of this thread. RAID arrays are seldom used,

By whom?  Everyone I know uses RAID for data resiliency and/or performance and I work with a lot of storage every day...

> and hardly recommended for consumer drive models (which we talk about here).

Either RAID or backups which nowadays for any consumer who is using TiB sized drives can only be done on another drive, so like an asynchronous RAID-1 then...

> Present way of resizing a partition to the left is barbaric to currently made consumer drives, outerly obsolete due to wasting huge amount of energy for no reason, and significantly accelerates wear and tear of large presently low lifespan resource consumer drive models.

It wastes no energy.  You have no idea what you are talking about do you?!?  Reading the data once and writing it once?!?  That is wearing out your disk is it?!?  So, if you watch those movies of yours twice you have caused the same wear and tear on your drive...  Perhaps you should look at what MTBF means and look it up for your drive...  How long a drive lasts has nothing to do with how many times you read/write to it at all (unless it is an SSD but you are clearly talking old fashioned harddrives given you are quoting 2-3TiB disk capacities).

And disks don't have a low life span at all.  We have thousands of spinning disks at work (University of Cambridge) and the failure rate is very small.  I have numerous external drives at home and none of them have failed, either...

> I can tell you more - given large amount of factual errors in your reply, shooting far above and below actual target, and total lack of desire to bring NTFSResize to today's requirements, you should not call yourself this tool maintainer.

This is going too far.  My reply was entirely factually correct.  All of your emails are full of stupidities which are not true at all!  I am afraid you are hereby banned from this mailing list so you can stop wasting all of our time.  All subsequent emails from you will be automatically discarded by the spam filter on sourceforge.

Good bye...

Best regards,

        Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer, http://www.linux-ntfs.org/