Stable NTFS-3G + NTFSPROGS 2016.2.22 Released

Stable NTFS-3G + NTFSPROGS 2016.2.22 Released

Szabolcs Szakacsits-5

Greetings,

We are happy to announce a new release of NTFS-3G and ntfsprogs.

Changes to NTFS-3G driver:

– Write as much data as possible in compressed attribute pwrite
– Fixed getting space for making an index non resident
– Alleviated constraints relative to reparse points
– Fixed special case of decompressing a runlist
– Fixed returning the trimming count to fstrim()
– Fixed the range of valid subauthority counts in a SID
– Updated the read-only flag even when the security attribute was cached
– Defended against reusing data from an invalid MFT record
– Simplified NTFS ACLs when group same as owner and same permission as world
– Packed/unpacked st_rdev transported as 32-bits on Solaris 64-bits
– Zero uninitialized bytes before writing compressed data
– Clear the environment when starting mount or umount
– Implemented rewinding a directory in lowntfs-3g
– Use incremental offsets when reading a directory in lowntfs-3g

Changes to mkntfs:

– Make installing mkntfs /sbin symlinks dependent on ENABLE_MOUNT_HELPER
– Mention the starting sector when it overflows in mkntfs
– Upgraded the upper-case table to same as Windows 7, 8 and 10

Changes to ntfsresize:

– Fixed relocating the MFT runlists
– Decode the full list of bad clusters
– Fixed resizing an extended bad cluster list

Changes to ntfsclone:

– Decoded the full list of bad clusters

Changes to ntfsinfo:

– Displayed reparse point information

Changes to ntfsdecrypt:

– Fixed DESX decryption

Changes to ntfswipe:

– Added clarifications about several options to the manual

New ntfsprogs tool:

– Included ntfsrecover to recover the updates committed by Windows (experimental)

Overall:

– Made a general cleanup of endianness types for easier checks

The stable release is available at

   http://www.tuxera.com/community/open-source-ntfs-3g/

Many thanks to Jean-Pierre Andre, Erik Larsson, Eric Biggers and other
contributors who sent us bug reports and feedbacks for improvements.

Best regards,

   Tuxera Open Source Team

Re: [ntfs-3g-devel] Stable NTFS-3G + NTFSPROGS 2016.2.22 Released

Greg Freemyer
I recently started packaging ntfs_3g for openSUSE.

Is it desired to include the experimental ntfs_recover?

What about the "quarantined" programs:

ntfsck
ntfsdump_logfile
ntfsfallocate
ntfsmftallocate
ntfsmove

If all the above are experimental, should I go ahead and create a
"ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs-experimental" sub-package?

Thanks
Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
www.IntelligentAvatar.net

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 12:57 PM, Szabolcs Szakacsits <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> We are happy to announce a new release of NTFS-3G and ntfsprogs.
>
> Changes to NTFS-3G driver:
>
> – Write as much data as possible in compressed attribute pwrite
> – Fixed getting space for making an index non resident
> – Alleviated constraints relative to reparse points
> – Fixed special case of decompressing a runlist
> – Fixed returning the trimming count to fstrim()
> – Fixed the range of valid subauthority counts in a SID
> – Updated the read-only flag even when the security attribute was cached
> – Defended against reusing data from an invalid MFT record
> – Simplified NTFS ACLs when group same as owner and same permission as world
> – Packed/unpacked st_rdev transported as 32-bits on Solaris 64-bits
> – Zero uninitialized bytes before writing compressed data
> – Clear the environment when starting mount or umount
> – Implemented rewinding a directory in lowntfs-3g
> – Use incremental offsets when reading a directory in lowntfs-3g
>
> Changes to mkntfs:
>
> – Make installing mkntfs /sbin symlinks dependent on ENABLE_MOUNT_HELPER
> – Mention the starting sector when it overflows in mkntfs
> – Upgraded the upper-case table to same as Windows 7, 8 and 10
>
> Changes to ntfsresize:
>
> – Fixed relocating the MFT runlists
> – Decode the full list of bad clusters
> – Fixed resizing an extended bad cluster list
>
> Changes to ntfsclone:
>
> – Decoded the full list of bad clusters
>
> Changes to ntfsinfo:
>
> – Displayed reparse point information
>
> Changes to ntfsdecrypt:
>
> – Fixed DESX decryption
>
> Changes to ntfswipe:
>
> – Added clarifications about several options to the manual
>
> New ntfsprogs tool:
>
> – Included ntfsrecover to recover the updates committed by Windows (experimental)
>
> Overall:
>
> – Made a general cleanup of endianness types for easier checks
>
> The stable release is available at
>
>    http://www.tuxera.com/community/open-source-ntfs-3g/
>
> Many thanks to Jean-Pierre Andre, Erik Larsson, Eric Biggers and other
> contributors who sent us bug reports and feedbacks for improvements.
>
> Best regards,
>
>    Tuxera Open Source Team

Re: [ntfs-3g-devel] Stable NTFS-3G + NTFSPROGS 2016.2.22 Released

Jean-Pierre André
Greg Freemyer wrote:
> I recently started packaging ntfs_3g for openSUSE.
>
> Is it desired to include the experimental ntfs_recover?

This is a new program for playing the Windows journal
and restoring integrity on a device which has not been
unmounted from Windows (power failure, USB unplugged
while writing, etc.)

It is still experimental, and will remain that way if
only the development team tests it. Tests by real users
are welcome, and this implies it be packaged by
distributions.

> What about the "quarantined" programs:
>
> ntfsck
> ntfsdump_logfile
> ntfsfallocate
> ntfsmftallocate
> ntfsmove

These are programs which are considered non-functional or
only test-oriented. Distributions are not expected to
package them. They are kept in the source tarball so
that volunteers can capitalize on them for improvement.

In particular ntfsck is just a place holder. Distributions
are expected not to recommend inserting a positive value
in the last field of /etc/fstab for ntfs partitions.

The new ntfsrecover renders ntfsdump_logfile obsolete.

> If all the above are experimental, should I go ahead and create a
> "ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs-experimental" sub-package?

Making a sub package would be reasonable, but they are
not really experimental, they have been orphaned for ten
years and are unlikely to be upgraded (except ntfsfallocate
if there is some demand).

Regards

Jean-Pierre